I am always excited to write a blog post about things on social media and letting others know how I use it. This week in addition to turning 31, Twitter released the Poll feature.
Until now, it seems that the feature was only available to advertisers and highly influential twitter accounts. I think that I have used them to vote for who was going to win soccer games or things like that.
In the past, for us normal and not-so-highly-influential people wanted to do a poll they had to use link to a third party website to do some crazy mess like counting hashtag ‘votes’. So now that it’s part of the website is awesome and by the time I finish writing they will release it to the app.
So this is how I am doing it as of now from the website:
- Start a new tweet, if it has been pushed to your profile you will see the Poll option next to the Media and Location buttons. Click the poll button.
- In the area where you usually put a tweet type your question or statement that you are using for the poll. Then fill in the options. Here I asked ‘are you happy where you are right now in your life?’ Right now, you can only poll with two options. I put yes or no as options.
- Once you are happy with the way the tweet poll is written then you click tweet and the poll will be live for 24 hours. When the poll is concluded. You will be notified of the results.
This is one poll that I didn’t document and was my first poll. I was so excited. Here are my results and thanks for the two people that participated:
I think that this is a great way to engage your followers even more and getting some insight. Here are some ideas that I randomly came up with that you can use Twitter Polls:
- Singers – ask which one of two songs should be the next single.
- Sports – Who is going to win the game?
- Authors – Have your followers vote on two titles that you were thinking of for your book and see which one they choose.
- Education – Schools with different programs you can do like “which class do you like better?” or “Are you staying in town for holiday break?”
- Clothing/Apparel – Clothing options that men or women like more? Bowties vs. Regular ties?
What will you be using the #TwitterPolls for? Let me know in the comments.